Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Publisher
TYPE OF NOVEL: Historical Fiction
SETTING: Cornwall, England 1783-1787
- Captain Ross Poldark: Only son and heir to Nampara, a ruined family estate. Just returned home from the American Revolutionary War where many family and friends thought he perished.
- Elizabeth Chynoweth: Love interest of Ross Poldark, but presently engaged to his cousin, Francis Poldark
- Francis Poldark: cousin and friend to Ross Poldark, heir to Trenwith, lives a more leisurely and carefree life
- Verity Poldark: unmarried sister to Francis and cousin to Ross
- Jud and Prudie Paynter: lazy servants at Nampara who frequently enjoy imbibing and being idle
- Demelza Carne: an abused thirteen-year-old daughter of a poor miner, taken on to work as kitchen maid at Nampara
WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS NOVEL:
- This series was first recommended to me last year by a lovely reader from my blog, Michelle Hall!
- This series was raved about on this blog post by lots of readers and authors from across the pond.
- Poldark Fever is currently in progress here in the US and I wanted to see what this series is all about!