Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation
TIME FRAME: Begins with the Netherfield Ball
SYNOPSIS: At the Netherfield Ball Mr. Darcy makes the unexpected realization that Elizabeth Bennet despises him, and decides to find out why…His actions lead to them being caught unawares in a seemingly compromising situation, and subsequently Mr. Darcy needs to protect Elizabeth’s honor… How does Mr. Darcy feel knowing he is marrying a woman who doesn’t at all like him? Can their marriage be a happy one? Or will they both keep their distance in order to maintain a peaceful union?
WHAT I LOVED:
- Forced Marriage Premise: I have yet to grow tired of seeing Darcy and Elizabeth in this type of situation! And I love that their (not so innocent) moment alone led to a forced marriage. I especially enjoyed that Mr. Darcy is in no way disillusioned about Elizabeth’s feelings for him (which is unique twist for this premise.) I loved seeing his struggle with guilt, desire, despondency, and burgeoning contentment. He is happy to marry her and eventually finds himself irrevocably in love, but he cannot at all figure out what she is feeling.
- Private Feelings: Speaking of feelings, I absolutely adored how Ms. Morland depicted Mr. Darcy’s and Elizabeth’s emotional progression. Their moments of reflection, internal discoveries, and privately harbored hopes – there is sooooo much this couple does not say to each other. But the reader is privy to it all and cannot help but feel slivers of tension, sympathy, anxiety, and hope on their behalf.
- Playful Exchanges: We know well that in any situation that might cause intimidation, offense, or discomfort Elizabeth’s favorite response is to make a sporting remark or irreverent jest. With her unexpected marriage to Mr. Darcy and her exasperation with his bottled up feelings, Lizzy employs this talent numerous times. And the results are often delightful – I loved seeing Mr. Darcy laugh, come up with witty rejoinders, and exercise some dry observations. Their banter and shared humor was heartwarming to witness.
- Georgiana Relationship/Intrigue: I thought that this was an interesting twist. There is a beautiful sisterly relationship developing between Elizabeth and Georgiana, but they both have kept a secret or two from each other…especially Georgiana’s secret. I loved witnessing their affinity for each other grow and to see the effect it has on Mr. Darcy.
- Unique Touches: With so many Pride and Prejudice stories being written, I always appreciate it when an author adds some original ideas and traits. In this story Colonel Fitzwilliam is slightly altered and his relationship with the Darcys isn’t as we’ve always seen it to be. It was interesting to see a Colonel Fitzwilliam that wasn’t lighthearted and amiable, he was older and more concerned about society’s opinion. This new family dynamic was very interesting to explore. In addition, I loved, loved, loved Mr. Darcy’s secret hobby and its importance in the story.
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- Missing Scene or Two: For the first 2/3 of the story we observe and understand so much of Mr. Darcy’s and Elizabeth’s relationship and emotional development. But sadly it does move to the back burner later on as other events take precedent. I missed seeing the final evolution of their relationship, I felt like just one or two scenes or moments more would have given readers a most satisfying and sigh-inducing conclusion.
WARNING: Due to an intimate scene that takes place in the first chapter, I’d recommend this book for Mature Audiences. However, the scene is not overly explicit and all other intimate embraces are less frequent and less detailed.
Turbulent emotions, insightful developments, and exquisite prose – A Remedy Against Sin is a Pride and Prejudice variation not to be missed. If you are enthralled by stories with complicated beginnings, unequal regard, and blossoming affection you will love this variation!
I am so thankful that Christina Morland has published this book in paperback – I’ve been hearing its praises sung for years! I’d like to offer a giveaway of ONE paperback of A Remedy Against Sin to one lucky reader in celebration! #TeamPaperback
To enter this giveaway, leave a comment about my review.
- This giveaway is open to US residents.
- This giveaway ends May 29th.