Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF NOVEL: Sequel to a Modern Adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, Mature Audiences
TIMELINE: Several weeks after Without a Conscience
NOTE: This book is a sequel to a sequel, and it is recommended to read the first and second books of this series prior to this one.
SYNOPSIS: While the Obsidian team accomplished most of their goals with Operation Macarena, they were unsuccessful with the bigger objectives of eliminating Juan (Diablo) Sanchez Moralez and destroying his drug, weapons, and human trafficking empire. And since Diablo has vendetta against Obsidian assassin Fitzwilliam (Iceman) Darcy for killing his father, the Obsidian team knows he is coming for them. They just don’t when or how…What happens when Diablo does strike? What can Iceman do to firmly put an end to Diablo’s empire while protecting the life of the one he holds most dear…What happens if he is unsuccessful?
WHAT I LOVED:
- Brilliant Execution: Wowza…this story – no scratch that – this series is thoughtfully and expertly composed. Through all three books Cat Gardiner develops a thrilling romantic adventure full of treacherous paths, high speed action, and surprising twists. Like an expert driver handling the Tail of the Dragon, Cat Gardiner maneuvers and steers the events of this series brilliantly. I’m so impressed with the masterful orchestration behind it all. Especially in this third book – I loved the evasive narratives, the slow reveals, the tender flashbacks that fill in some missing gaps and provide some lighter moments amongst the heart-wrenching scenes of desolation.
- Traveling Everywhere: With all the books in this series, readers can experience adventure and exotic travel vicariously through Liz and Darcy. Their passports have a hefty number of stamps from the last year alone! And I so want to follow their travel routes (minus all the black ops and dangerous villains!). I want to swim in the Santorini Caldera in Greece, ride the Orient Express to Prague, see Madame Butterfly in Venice, and attempt the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina. (It is after all the state I live in!) I truly loved these jet-setting adventures around the world!
- Character Development: In every book Cat Gardiner writes, she creates such deep-feeling and emotionally complex characters. I find these characters immeasurably absorbing and accessible. With the unexpected events that take place in this story, I think it is crucial for readers to get behind and comprehend the actions/decisions these characters make. Cat Gardiner does a marvelous job of establishing these characters’ personalities, of revealing their inner thoughts, and overall creating a bond between the readers and her characters. In so many ways I felt myself identifying with Liz in this story…I cried with her countless times and felt her pain in my heart. I addition, I could not bring myself to be upset with Darcy for even one second as I knew exactly where he was coming from and what propelled his actions.
- The Little Things: I especially loved that with such a sweeping and complex spy/thriller to create, Cat Gardiner had time to add little touches and moments with secondary characters that are such satisfying additions to the story. Such as Mr. Bennet’s role, the new character that is introduced, and all of Dixon’s moments with Liz! I have such a soft spot for Dixon!
- A Culminating Conclusion: These books truly do take readers on – not just a romantic adventure – but an emotional one as well. This last book in the series brings everything to the most satisfying and moving of conclusions. The series is encompasses such a wide range of emotions, experiences, and events and Cat Gardiner adeptly brings it all together in the end for a deeply gratifying finale.
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- The only thing I could possibly think of is that I was hoping to see a little more of John Knightley…but that might be because after The Iceman, he is my favorite Obsidian member. 😉
WARNING: Recommended for Mature Audiences because of the use of profanity and intimate content
Powerful, poignant, and passionate – In Good Conscience is an exceptionally praiseworthy conclusion to The Conscience Series by Cat Gardiner. For readers who crave stories that are full of breathtaking adventure in romantic cities, thrilling danger that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and the deepest, most epic of romances, I cannot recommend this series enough!!
I thought it would be fun to do a giveaway for two reasons –
2 being that this is the first book in 2019 that I’ve given 5 stars to! Woot! This book is especially deserving of this high rating!
So the giveaway I’m holding is for an ebook (Winner’s Choice) of any book in The Conscience Series.
And because she is such a generous person, author Cat Gardiner has added to my giveaway!!! She is giving away an ebook bundle of this series Conscience Rising (available in Nook or Kobo!!)
To enter, leave a comment about my review and share what intrigues you/what you love most about this series.
- This giveaway is open worldwide.
- This giveaway will end March 20th.