Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Variation, Paranormal (in some parts)
TIME FRAME: Begins around 6 years before Mr. Bingley first comes to Netherfield
SYNOPSIS: What would happen if, despite her oft-lamented fear, Mrs. Bennet suffered a premature death first instead of Mr. Bennet? How would Mr. Bennet manage with rearing five daughters by himself? Would he remarry? Would he be more responsible? And what alterations would take place when Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy come to town?
In Joana Starnes’s latest Pride and Prejudice variation there are quite a few unique twists changing the course of Jane Austen’s beloved classic. In addition to Mr. Bennet being a widower, Mr. Darcy senior and his wife are specter-like beings that continue to dwell at Pemberley during the afterlife. What will they think of their son’s battle between his heart and his duty?
WHAT I LOVED:
- Unconventional 2x: I loved the uniqueness of this story! The passing of Mrs. Bennet stirs the pot for sure, and in ways the reader might not expect! With Mr. Bennet taking on more responsibilities, the lives of all his daughters are changed. There are many variations that show what takes place with Mr. Bennet’s premature death, so this particular alteration was a refreshing change. I also enjoyed the presence of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy (I mean their specters) in this story. Again, not many stories feature both of these characters together, or share much about their relationship. These two twists combined create quite an original and atypical tale!
- Brilliant Banter: Mr. Bennet’s dry wit, the playful sparring between Darcy and Elizabeth, Colonel Fitzwilliam’s roasting of Darcy, Lady Catherine’s over-the-top diatribes – there are so many moments and scenes that will make the reader smirk, chuckle, and even belly laugh in this tale! Well done, Joana Starnes – the comedic elements in this tale are just sparkling!
- Mr. Darcy Persevering: I ask you is there anything more swoon-worthy than a determined Darcy? When he knows his heart and is resolutely following it, despite Elizabeth’s protestations and animosity? *sigh* As you might imagine, there are different obstacles in Darcy’s way in this variation, and I loved seeing him earnestly persist in trying to court Elizabeth. Even when he has a hundred forces working against him!
- Secondary Relationships: Anne de Bourgh, Mr. Bennet, Mr. and Mrs. Darcy – there is some lovely relationship development happening in this story! Some of it surprising, some of it heartwarming, and some of it illuminating. I love that Joana Starnes allowed these interesting and unique relationships to share the spotlight with our dear couple!
- Utterly Exquisite Moments: Oh yes. These are Joana Starnes’s trademarks – those indescribably beautiful moments where Darcy and Elizabeth are together and everything is so right and so satisfying – especially after all the turmoil she puts them through! My favorites would have to be Elizabeth’s and Darcy’s first encounter and when Lizzy thinks Mr. Darcy is suffering from sunstroke.
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- Somewhat Disjointed: There are a lot of interesting components and developments in this variation, some of which happen a little more abruptly than I would have wished. And sometimes I did feel that a few story-lines (or characters) went MIA a little. While I loved the the variety of unique twists and the secondary character story-lines, I think some elements of this story may have been a little difficult to connect cohesively together.
In her latest and much anticipated Pride and Prejudice variation, Joana Starnes offers a most inventive and entertaining story, replete with interfering spirits, more than one blossoming romance, a dash of mystery, and of course, a beleaguered and tortured Mr. Darcy! The Darcy Legacy is wondrously creative, witty, and enthralling – I highly recommend!
Because she is so wonderfully generous and lovely, Joana Starnes would like to offer a special giveaway in conjunction with my review! (Isn’t she just the greatest?!?) Joana is kind giving away these lovely prizes
- 5 Audible codes (winner’s choice)
- 2 Ebooks (winner’s choice)
- 1 paperback of The Darcy Legacy
Audiobook winners can choose from these lovely titles ALL narrated by Stevie Zimmerman:
Ebook winners can choose from the titles mentioned above AND below:
To enter this giveaway leave a comment, a question, or some love for Joana!
- This giveaway is open worldwide. Thank you, Joana!
- This giveaway ends September 17th!