“But as long as we could be together, nothing ever ailed me…” – Sophia Croft in Persuasion
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Prequel, Minor Character
TIME FRAME:15 years before Jane Austen’s Persuasion
MAIN CHARACTERS: Sophy Wenthworth, Frederick Wentworth, Edward Wentwroth, Captain Croft, Joshua Hollingson
WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS NOVEL:
Admiral and Mrs. Croft are such a fantastic and exemplary couple! They are cheerful, capable, good-tempered, and one happiest married couples Jane Austen created. I knew right away I wanted to read this novel because of my love for these characters, and the fact that there is a scarcity of prose written about them! In addition, Sophia Croft is a strong-minded, resilient, and admirable woman and I’m just delighted she gets to be the heroine of her own novel!
- The Backstory: In this novel Kimberly Truesdale takes readers to a village they never visited before (the peaceful and hardworking town of Milverton in Somerset) and introduces them to Dr. Wentworth, Edward Wentworth, Reverend Croft and Mrs. Croft. I found the village and these new characters to be filled with charm and personality. Moreover, I loved seeing Frederick, Sophie, and Admiral Croft when they were younger, witnessing the budding romance between Sophy and the Admiral, and gaining new insight about their pasts.
- The Romance: Well done, Ms. Truesdale! I love that this wasn’t the typical boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, girl falls for boy story. At the beginning of the novel, we learn that Sophy Wentworth has caught the eye and possibly the heart of the new curate, Joshua Hollingson. Like Sophy, I was starting to feel something for the adorable and amiable Joshua, but then…Captain Conrad Croft comes into town and stirs everything up! I greatly enjoyed the tension, turbulence, and tenderness of Sophy’s relationship with Captain Croft.
- The Wentworths: Losing her mother early in life and having a father who is busy tending to his patients, puts a lot of responsibility and demands on Sophy. I loved that Ms. Truesdale illustrated how the circumstances of Sophy’s youth shaped her character. She is indeed a rational, reliable, and strong young woman. In addition, I enjoyed observing how Frederick’s fragile relationship with his father, his restless spirit, and thirst for adventure impacted his future.
- The Crofts: They were just too adorable! Seeing Reverend and Mrs. Croft’s reaction to their son’s homecoming and their profusion of love for him and for each other just warmed my heart. I loved seeing how his parent’s happy and loving marriage influenced Captain Croft in his ideals and desires. These new characters were extremely well-drawn and lovable, I most certainly would not mind reading more about them!
- Sophy’s Indecision: (Possible SPOILER) Oh dear. I was not happy to see that once faced with a decision about the two men in her life, Sophy didn’t know her own heart! It didn’t make sense that she was one minute sobbing for joy over a letter and then the next minute needing to figure out which man she loved. I found her moment of indecision a little hard to believe and disappointing. In fact, I was considering giving this book 4.5 stars instead of 5 because of it, but Conrad’s impassioned and soul-bearing letter more than made up for Sophy’s lapse. *sigh* Those naval men sure know how to write a letter!
Perceptively and skillfully crafted, this prequel to Persuasionis a captivating glimpse of the first meeting and love story between Captain Croft and Sophia Wentworth. Filled with insight, romance, and adventure, My Dear Sophyis sure to satisfy any Austenesque reader looking to understand more about this inspiring and admirable couple! I am beyond delighted to learn that Ms. Truesdale is inclined to take Sophy and Captain Croft on many more adventures! Please do, Ms. Truesdsale! I would love to see more of Conrad Croft and his spirited and intelligent wife!
GIVEAWAY!!! Author Kimberly Truesdale is generously offering to give awayTWO BEAUTIFULcopies ofMY DEAR SOPHY with my review today!
To enter and win one of these LOVELY prizes all you have to do is comment below shareONEthing you like or admire in Sophyand/or Admiral Croft!
- To save your inbox from unwanted spam, please leave your email address with an [at] instead of @.
- (You could also leave a Twitter handle or Facebook username instead).
- This giveaway is open to residents in the US/CAN. Thank you, Kimberly!
- This giveaway ends November 17th.
THIS TITLE IS FREE ON KINDLE TODAY AND TOMORROW!
Hop over to amazon, and download a free copy for yourself!