Greetings my Austenesque-loving friends! I am so excited to celebrate my blog’s Blogiversary with you today! I cannot believe I’ve been blogging 8 years already! That seems like such a high number for something I feel didn’t start too long ago! But I guess it has!
It has been a wonderful blog journey for me these past eight years and that is because of you lovely readers and wonderful authors! Readers – thank you so much for your participation, support, and conversation! I love our chats and your sharing, and I am so happy to get to know many of you through our love of Jane Austen. Authors – thank you for the stories you write, the friendships, and the visits! My blog is richer for your presence!
I am thrilled to celebrate this year’s blogiversary with some charts and graphs!! Woot woot! Any chart or graph fans in the house?
As you may remember, I asked readers of my blog to fill out a Quick-Fire Question survey about Pride and Prejudice!
Well, the results are in and we can all take a gander to see where some trends lie, what answers are popular, and which ones are more unique! I hope you enjoy!
*Anytime I use ‘Misc. Answers’ is when there were many options that only have one write-in vote.
~ Quick-Fire Questions: Pride and Prejudice Survey ~
~ OUR ANSWERS ~
- I think it is interest that the Hunsford/First Proposal has more than double the votes than Darcy’s Second Proposal.
- In this answer we have a lot of diversity. As you can see 50% of the write-in votes were all unique choices! Full quotes are listed below.
“You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
“It was, on the contrary, exactly calculated to make her understand her own wishes; and never had she so honestly felt that she could have loved him, as now, when all love must be vain.”
“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?””
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”
“Obstinate, headstrong girl!”
“Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.”
“My courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me.”
“Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.”
- I am not surprised at all to see Colonel Fitzwilliam leading the pack! But perhaps a little surprised to see Mrs. Bennet and Lady C earning as many votes as they did!
- Interesting to see Mr. Collins ahead of Mr. Wickham! I guess Mr. Wickham’s charm works in his favor still! 😉
- What a diverse set of responses! I am surprised to see Mrs. Gardiner in the top 3. I love how honest people are about themselves! It isn’t easy to admit you are most similar to Lady Catherine or Caroline Bingley!
- Wasn’t it hard to pick just one aspect of Mr. Darcy’s character?!? Looks like many admire him most because he changed his ways for love.
- Interesting split! It is hard to put ourselves in Charlotte’s shoes since our time periods and situations are so different and I know many agree (evidence above proves this!) that her decision to marry Mr. Collins was the right one. But the optimistic part of me likes to imagine that if Charlotte held out a little longer someone better would have come her way! Maybe a kind widower would have moved to the area or something… 😉
- Haha! The scale is definitely tipped a little more in this one, I sympathize with poor Jane since she kind of gets to experience both!!
- I wasn’t sure if it would be blasphemous to ask about flaws in Pride and Prejudice! I have to admit, now that I think of it, that lack of kisses would be on my list too (just call me Marianne!) 😉
Our Truths Universally Acknowledged
These were all wonderfully unique so I picked a select few to share!
- “Rereadings and Austenesque are good for your mental health!”
- “That each person should respect the feelings and thoughts of others.”
- “That men and women will misunderstand each other for time eternal.”
- “This is hardly a quick question!”
- “Jane Austen is one of the most brilliant authors of all time!”
- “A woman with a few pence to spare must buy another book about Darcy and Elizabeth.”
- “That a tired mom in possession of alone time in the bathroom will always be found by her children!”
- “That an ardent reader will always be in want of more books!”
- “I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.”
- “All can learn if given the opportunity.”
Thank you all who contributed these answers for our survey, and thank you to everyone for reading these results!! I appreciate you joining in the celebration! It wouldn’t be a proper celebration without some prizes…and there are some very lovely prizes this year!!
~ GIVEAWAY TIME!!! ~
There are 4 handsome prizes up for grabs during our Blogiversary Celebration today!
~ PRIZE #1 ~
We don’t know what is in this box, but I’m told it is Northanger Abbey-themed! And judging from the previous months’ boxes it will be amazing!!! (opened worldwide)
~ PRIZE #2 ~
1 Paperback Copy of The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Beau North (Donated by Christina Boyd)
What if Mr. Darcy was stuck living the same day over and over again? (open to US residents)
~ PRIZE #3 ~
1 Paperback Copy of The Darcy Monologues Edited by Christina Boyd (Donated by Christina Boyd)
“It is your turn to say something now, Mr. Darcy.” (open to US residents)
~ PRIZE #4 ~
1 Jane Austen’s Matchmaker: Chapter Two Card Game (donated by Stephanie)
I haven’t played this game, but it looks like so much fun! Love the idea of mixing characters from different novels! (open to US residents)
~ PRIZE #5 ~
1 12 x 18 Literary Poster from Pemberley Pond (winner’s choice!)
I’ve been a longtime ardent admirer of this etsy shop! I truly want to buy all. the. things! (open worldwide because I <3 my international friends!)
Anyone and everyone is welcome to enter to win the giveaway prizes. All you have to do is leave a comment. You can comment about the survey or about our Blogiversary Celebration! Just know, either way, I love hearing from you and am very thankful for your conversation!
- This giveaway is open to residents US residents (books and card game) and worldwide (subscription box and Pemberley Pond print)
- This giveaway will end September 29th.