Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Sequel
TIME FRAME: Begins four month after Darcy and Elizabeth are married
MAIN CHARACTERS: Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Darcy, Georgiana Darcy, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Mr. Bingley
SYNOPSIS: After several months of connubial bliss, Darcy and Elizabeth are about to endure their first separation. Darcy is to London for business and only anticipates that he will be away two to three weeks. But that soon changes when he receives a request from his cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam, to assist with a debt of honor… Meanwhile at Pemberley, Lizzy is hoping to make her husband proud by proving how capable she is as Mistress of Pemberley. But just as soon as her husband leaves many of families of the estate report serious illness… How can Elizabeth help them all and stop the outbreak from spreading elsewhere? How do Darcy and Elizabeth cope with their individual struggles and prolonged separation?
SERIES: Courage (Book 1 of 2)
WHAT I LOVED:
- Dual Storylines: In this sequel, readers follow Darcy to London and stay with Elizabeth at Pemberley, oftentimes switching point-of-views at chapter breaks. I loved that there were two gripping storylines interweaving with each other at the same time. Both storylines had some danger, emotional conflict, and unexpected drama. I thought both storylines complimented each other well and were well-executed. I really couldn’t decide which story I enjoyed more – the mysterious hunt with the boys, or the intense, critical illness at Pemberley!
- Happy, Playful, and Ardent: In the brief, but telling, moments we see Darcy and Elizabeth together, readers can deduce a lot about their marriage. Their love match has changed Darcy for the better, Elizabeth is the making of him and he knows it. And Elizabeth has found great purpose in her life. Even though she is only in her new role a mere four months, Elizabeth is just as passionate about Pemberley as her husband. However, what is really wonderful to witness is the intense and fervent love they have for each other – how they still tease each other, how an impending 2-3 week separation makes both of them morose, and how they long for each other in so many ways and so many reasons when separated.
- Determined and Honorable Men: I don’t think there is anything more attractive than men of honor – loyal and determined to do what they believe is right. And this book shows us three! Others may turn away from the obstacles in their paths or the dead ends they encounter, but these men would not quit and would not abandon each other. I loved the infallible support and perseverance of this brotherhood!
- A Brave and Intelligent Mistress of Pemberley: I really enjoyed the focus on Elizabeth facing some challenges as Mistress of Pemberley. She encounters several naysayers who don’t believe she may be up to snuff for her elevated role, and I loved seeing how she would purposely yet sweetly prove them wrong. This Elizabeth showed such indomitable spirit and her selfless actions were deeply inspiring.
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- Miss Hawke: I love encountering new characters, especially one that has some intrigue or stirs things up a little bit! I just sort’ve felt Miss Hawke was a little incomplete. She plays a vital role in this story, yet I felt we didn’t get to see or hear enough from her. But perhaps this will be addressed in the next book of the series…
In past years I have grown much more selective when it comes to Pride and Prejudice sequels (as I tend to prefer ones that spotlight secondary characters). And I am happy to say I absolutely adored this dynamic, intriguing, and emotive Pride and Prejudice sequel by Melanie Rachel! Darcy and Elizabeth are exceptionally well-drawn in this story and I loved seeing them grow and flourish both as individuals and as partners in their marriage. Looking forward to reading Courage Requires (Courage #2) next!
Today Melanie graciously offers 1 book from her Courage Series (winner’s choice) for me to give away in conjunction with my reviews. (Paperback or ebook for US citizens. Ebook for all other countries.)
To enter this giveaway, leave a comment below!
- This giveaway is open worldwide (with some shipping restrictions). Thank you, Melanie!
- This giveaway ends August 16th!
~~ Want to double your chances? Come back Friday and leave a comment on my review of Courage Requires!! ~~