Happy Memorial Day, readers! Today, Austenesque Reviews is paid a visit from an author who may be new to some of you – Sara Marks, who just recently published a Persuasion modern-day retelling titled Modern Persuasion! A new release that I’m looking forward to reading soon! While chatting with Sara through emails, we discovered that we are both fond of making lists! Since Sara is a list-maker, I asked if she would make one for dear Anne! 🙂 We hope you enjoy!
Top 10 Things I Love About Anne Elliot
1. Anne is not your typical middle child. Instead of trying to grab any attention she can, she is thoughtful and measured. I always felt she was more like the eldest child, Mary the middle child, and Elizabeth the spoiled youngest.
2. She sees and judges people on what she can observe about them, not on their status in society.
3. She loves Mary and tries to give her sister the attention she thinks Mary craves.
4. She sees Lady Russell as the next best thing to her mother, recognizing that sometimes you need a parent (especially when your living one refuses to act the role).
5. She may regret her choices and circumstances, but she lives her life seemingly the way she wishes.
6. How many parents would have let her turn down Charles Musgrove’s proposal? I always wanted to read that story because I suspect it was a huge deal for her to turn him down and THEN watch her sister say yes. That she felt confident enough to make that choice and not regret that decision, makes me adore her.
7. Once she has confirmation that Wentworth still loves her, she does not give up her second chance.
8. She doesn’t play games with people. She is upfront and genuine without being mean.
9. She’s an introvert who is very self-reflective.
10. She is a Girl Scout! Not in that she is sweet and good, but that she is prepared and organized. She is totally the reason Louisa lives.
So very true! Anne is definitely one of my favorite introverts, there is so much to admire in her actions. She is selfless, giving, and honest. Thanks for sharing this terrific list with us, Sara! Can’t wait to meet your “Anne,” who I believe is named Emma Shaw in Modern Persuasion!
~ AUTHOR BIO ~
Sara Marks is a first time published author, but a long time writer. A librarian in Massachusetts, Sara has been writing as part of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) since 2004. Modern Persuasion is the first she has published. Sara was born in Boston, MA and raised in Miami, FL. She attended Florida State University for 3 years, but graduated with an A.A from Miami-Dade College and a B.A. from Florida International University before moving back to Boston for graduate school. There she got her M.S. in Library and Information Science from Simmons College and a M.S. in Communications from Fitchburg State University. Now Sara lives in Lowell, MA where she works with local writing group Mill Pages, which creates an annual anthology of short stories, poems, and art work. She is a member of the Society of Independent Publishers and Authors (SIPA), a group supporting writers in the Merrimack Valley.
Connect with Sara
In conjunction with her blog tour, Sara Marks is hosting a couple of giveaways!!! One is an ebook copy of her book, Modern Persuasion, for one lucky reader of this blog!
To enter for this giveaway leave a comment, question, or some love for Sara below.
- This giveaway is open internationally. Thank you, Sara!
- This giveaway ends June 3rd!
And the other prize is a package of Frederick’s Book Tour Knick Knacks and a signed paperback copy of Modern Persuasion.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
To enter this giveaway fill out the rafflecopter form above!
- This giveaway is open to US residents. Thank you, Sara!
- This giveaway ends June 5th!
~ Check out the rest of the tour! ~
5.22 – My Jane Austen Bookclub http://thesecretunderstandingofthehearts.blogspot.com
5.22 – Most Agreeably Engaged http://moreagreeablyengaged.blogspot.com
5.23 – Half Agony, Half Hope http://halfagonyhalfhopelove.blogspot.com
5.24 – JustJane 1813 https://justjane1813.com
5.24 – The Ardent Reader http://www.theardentreader.net
5.25 – From Pemberly to Milton https://frompemberleytomilton.wordpress.com
5.26 – Diary of an Eccentric https://diaryofaneccentric.wordpress.com
5.26 – My Love for Jane Austen http://forloveofausten.blogspot.com
5.27 – Babblings of a Bookworm http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot.com
5.28 – Musings from the Yellow Kitchen https://musingsfromtheyellowkitchen.wordpress.com
5.29 – vvb32 Reads http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com
5.29 – Austenesque Reviews http://austenesquereviews.com