Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: A Pride and Prejudice Variation from the perspective of Georgiana Darcy
TIME FRAME: Begins during the Bennet sisters stay at Netherfield Park through a few weeks later + epilogue
MAIN CHARACTERS: Georgiana Darcy, Mr. Darcy, the Bennet family, the Bingley family, George Wickham, Mary King, Mrs. Annesley, Captain Jacobs (original character)
WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS NOVEL:
- A new author for me that has already published 3 previous works.
- I love the idea of Georgiana playing matchmaker for her brother.
- I sampled the first 2 chapters and found the premise engaging and our heroine charming! I definitely wanted to read more!
WHAT I LOVED:
- Georgiana and Her Machinations: While reading her brother’s letters from Netherfield, Georgiana detects the true leanings of her his heart and knows he is determined to ignore and suppress his developing feelings for Elizabeth Bennet. Believing is clearly unable to manage his own affairs, Georgiana sets of for Hertfordshire with all possible haste with her companion, Mrs. Annesley, in tow. She plans to meet Elizabeth Bennet and find ways to make her big brother realize his heart. Even though Mr. Darcy is happy to see Georgiana, he intends to send her back to London (because of you-know-who!), but Georgiana keeps on finding reasons to stay! I loved seeing this less timid version of Georgiana. After her experience in Ramsgate it seems Mr. Darcy spent a lot of time opening up and talking with her, and it has helped her heal emotionally.
- Georgiana and Her Relationships: This story is told only from Georgiana’s point-of-view and it was delightful to see so many of the important relationships she develops with other characters in the story. I loved the ease and esteem between Georgiana and Mrs. Annesley, the sweet big sister/little sister rapport that developed with the two eldest Bennet sisters, and the fast friendship that formed with Kitty Bennet. I also loved seeing how Georgiana was wise to Lydia’s and Miss Bingley’s ways and wasn’t one to shy away from their strong personalities and unkind opinions. I should also make mention of Georgiana’s exchanges with a certain military man…what a delightful and unexpected surprise! It truly was wonderful to see Georgiana fleshed-out and maturing into such a strong and perceptive woman.
- Sweet, Humorous, and Tense: I love that there is a little bit of everything in this tale. It was sweet to witness Darcy and Elizabeth fall in love through another person’s eyes. Georgiana is very in-tune to her older brother’s heart and understands his nervous habits and discomfits. But at the same time, she was pushy and clever, and I loved the laugh out loud moments when Darcy would get tired of Georgiana’s meddlesome ways! And just when we think things might easily fall into place someone goes missing at the Netherfield Ball and there is danger, distress, and a whole lot of drama!
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- Some Small Quibbles: While there is so much I enjoyed in the composition and unique viewpoint of this story, I did miss seeing Darcy and Elizabeth together more towards the end. I understand with Georgiana being our eyes and ears the author is limited in what she can show us, but I guess I wanted to see a little bit more of their HEA as well as Georgiana’s. And in general I found myself wishing things resolved a little more leisurely at the end. I enjoyed the epilogue, but would have loved a little more resolution before then.
This is my first novel by Bronwen Chisholm and it only leads me to want to read some more! I love the unique perspective of this story and how the author developed Georgiana’s character! She could definitely give Emma Woodhouse a run for her money (as we see in the charming epilogue!) Ms. Chisholm’s enchanting and sensitive tale is one which will keep Pride and Prejudice fans “agreeably engaged!”
In conjunction with my review Bronwen Chisholm is generously offering a giveaway of ONE paperback copy (open to US residents only) and ONE ebook copy (open worldwide) of Georgiana Darcy, Matchmaker for me to giveaway to TWO lucky winners!!!
To enter this giveaway, leave a comment about my review!
- This giveaway is open worldwide (with some shipping restrictions). Thank you, Bronwen!
- This giveaway ends February 1st!