Should Darcy Hope or Despair?
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Source: Gift from Author
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation in 3 Volumes
TIME FRAME: 4 days after Darcy’s first proposal to 8 days after Darcy’s first proposal
MAIN CHARACTERS: Elizabeth Bennet. Fitzwilliam Darcy, Jane Bennet, Charles Bingley, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Georgiana Darcy, Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner, Nicholas Harington (new original character)
WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS SERIES:
- I’ve heard many sooo much praise for Cassandra Grafton and this trilogy, and since I love Pride and Prejudice variations I knew it was something I had to read! The only question was when – because you definitely need to read this trilogy without break.
WHAT I LOVED:
- Laboring Under Misapprehensions: It is five days since Darcy’s failed proposal and his encounters with Elizabeth continue, oftentimes against his will or inclination. But Darcy can’t fail to observe that their exchanges are becoming less awkward and more amicable of late. Even though she seems to seek him out, Darcy is convinced that his presence is unwelcome and oppressive to Elizabeth and tries to distance himself. Seeing Darcy continuously look ill at ease in her presence, Elizabeth begins to think that Darcy’s feelings for her must be changing since her hurtful and rude rejection. Which is unfortunate because she has just discovered that she truly enjoys his company! Oh my! The misunderstandings these two have! I loved witnessing their thoughts during these encounters and could not help but smile at how wrong they both were!
- Richard Fitzwilliam, Emotional Guardian: With his sharp observational skills, intuition, and tenacity, Colonel Fitzwilliam has made it his mission to solve what ails his cousin. I loved his tactical maneuvers to learn the truth about what happened between Darcy and Elizabeth and greatly admired how he continuously came to Darcy’s assistance. He was equal parts perceptive and compassionate. Usually a couple steps ahead of Darcy, Fitzwilliam oftentimes understood his cousin’s state of mind and emotions just by looking at him, no words were needed. He truly was Darcy’s emotional guardian through these very challenging days.
- Bachelor Pad: As soon as Darcy and Fitzwilliam came to London, Bingley decided to relocate to Darcy’s townhouse. Three eligible bachelors under one roof…don’t tell Mrs. Bennet! LOL! I loved all the masculinity of these men together and I greatly enjoyed witnessing their camaraderie and little ways they band together and show each other support. And lucky Georgiana, when she goes out for a walk or a visit to Vauxhall Gardens to have not one, not two, but three escorts!
- Utterly Consumed: It is no secret that this trilogy has me captivated. These characters and their situations dwelled in my head for hours in between readings, even while at work! 😉 I think this is because of how powerfully their feelings were portrayed, it engaged my emotions immediately. I love being emotionally wrapped-up in what I am reading!
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- There isn’t one thing I could say here! 😉
The action and tension does not abate in the second volume of this trilogy! With Bingley’s pursuit of Jane, Darcy’s assumption of Elizabeth’s affections being engaged by another man, Colonel Fitzwilliam’s campaign for Darcy’s heart, an expected visit from Lady Catherine, and a grand ball that pulls out the rug from under you, this story is one enthralling and stirring tale!
*My review of Volume III – Desperate Measures – will be posted Friday!