Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
(Note: Potential readers should be made aware that this is the second book in the Yours by Design trilogy and that it is necessary to read book 1, Accidentally Yours, prior to reading this one.)
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Austen-Inspired, Time Travel, Christian/Inspirational
SETTING: Alternating between Modern-Day (2012) in Georgia, USA and 1795 in England
- Will Darcy (from the 21st century) is joined by Elizabeth Bennet, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Jane Bennet, Mr. Gardiner, and Mr. Bennet
- Fitzwilliam Darcy (from the 18th century) is surrounded by Mrs. Thomas, Lance Bingley, Jane Bennet, and Liz Bennet
Two different men living two centuries apart make two similar pleading prayers that result in their switching bodies with each other – think “Freaky Friday” – The Regency Edition. A modern-day man who grew up reading and loving Jane Austen named Will Darcy, finds himself in the body of Fitzwilliam Darcy after his ill-fated Hunsford Proposal. And Fitzwilliam Darcy finds himself in the body of Will Darcy who lives in Georgia in the 21st century.
WHAT I LOVED:
- Two Darcys: Need I say more??? Both Darcys are quite different from each other. Will Darcy is very charming and has both the appearance and actuality of “goodness.” His Regency counterpart, Fitzwilliam Darcy, while haughty and arrogant, isn’t the responsible and just Master of Pemberley we all thought he was. The story alternates with each chapter – changing time periods and perspectives – giving readers an equal amount of both Darcy men. 😉
- Things Are Developing: I loved how this book showed more of each Darcy’s development. They acclimated to their new lives (or are trying to), establishing relationships with the people who surround them, and pursued their hearts’ desires. Will is occupied taking care of a bad investment his Regency counterpart made and admitting his errors in judgment to Charles Bingley. And Fitzwilliam Darcy is busy with his physical therapy work and learning how to live in the 21st century.
- I Like Fitzwilliam Darcy Again!: In Accidentally Yours,I found the Regency Darcy to be very unlikable and I was disappointed in some of the things he said and thought. Well, while that is his character make-up at the start of this series, I’m happy to see a gentle transformation starting to take place. His eyes, mind, and heart have been opened and he is truly desiring to change himself and make others happy and proud. I liked seeing Fitzwilliam “Fitz” Darcy’s interactions with his new companions and witnessing the many lessons he has to learn daily about modern society and customs. It kind of reminded me of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory a few times with how he needed to have so many things explained!
- Cute Fitz Moments: Some of my favorite moments in this story are when Fitz (Regency Darcy) does something adorable. In this installment we see him become better friends with his physical therapist/live-in nurse Lance and witness his introduction and first encounters with Liz Bennet. Without spoiling anything I’ll say my favorite scenes were the golf cart incident, Liz’s contraction challenge, and when Fitz experiences confusion over our modern expressions. So many LOLs!
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- I’m Not Into “Pictures of Perfections”: I’ve said this numerous times before, but I just don’t like it when a character is nearly perfect, faultless and flawless, or has nothing to overcome. At this point, I find myself loving the Fitzwilliam Darcy parts of this story more than Will Darcy because he is flawed character learning to be a better man. Will and Elizabeth, on the other hand, are seemingly perfect people with very little to mar their happiness or block their paths.
As you can see, I’m definitely more a fan of this series now than I was after reading the first book! With so many loose threads, this installment definitely left me hanging. I’m eagerly anticipating the third book, Forever Yours, which I hear is coming out soon! Can’t wait to see what happens with these Darcys and their Elizabeths!
Because she is awesome, Robin Helm has offered two lovely copies of her newly released novel, Sincerely Yours: Yours By Design, Book 2 (1 paperback and 1 ebook), for me to giveaway to TWO lucky winners!
To enter this giveaway, leave a comment about my review.
- The giveaway of the ebook is open worldwide, the giveaway of the paperback is open to US residents. Thank you, Robin!
- This giveaway ends October 27th!