Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Source: Review Copy from Author
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation
TIME FRAME: November 1811, Jane Bennet is ill at Netherfield Park
MAIN CHARACTERS: Elizabeth Bennet, Fitzwilliam Darcy, Charles Bingley, Georgiana Darcy, Mr. Bennet, George Wickham, Colonel Fitzwilliam
THE SCENARIO: What if George Wickham was not only a favorite of George Darcy, but his natural-born son, robbed of being heir due to the illegitimacy of his birth? What if five years ago Elizabeth, inexperienced as a nurse, failed to save her three younger sisters and younger brother from smallpox? What if Mr. Bennet, distraught and enraged over the death of his heir, disowned Elizabeth and banished her from Longbourn?
WHAT I LOVED:
- The Uniqueness of This Premise: Forget what you know about Mr. Bennet and George Darcy – for they are to be the villains of the piece (and their flaws and foibles are altered and accentuated to help them fit into these roles). Mr. Bennet is an unforgiving, unfair, and irrational man and George Darcy is guilty of favoring and spoiling his illegitimate child and being blind to his flaws. Because of the past mistakes of these men, Darcy and Elizabeth meet in very different circumstance and develop a relationship that isn’t filled with pride or prejudice. I enjoyed these new twists to this beloved story and I especially find the premise of George Wickham being a natural son of George Darcy to be probable and very interesting to explore.
- Elizabeth Bennet, Even More to Admire: Not that she needs to be any more awesome or delightful, but, in this story besides being charming, witty, and beautiful, Elizabeth is also skilled with healing, knowledgable about medicine, and worldly. She has spent time in several different countries, and has learned a lot. Her travels and experiences have given her a sense of self-assurance, independence, and open-mindedness that you just can’t get unless you leave your hometown. Elizabeth won my heart with her caring and concern for the Darcy family, her confidence and maturity, and her beautiful, generous nature. She is flawless and everyone loves her!
- A House Party at Netherfield: When Darcy is seriously injured, the Fitzwilliam family makes their way to his side. And of course, Lady Catherine finds out (even though no one invited her) and decides she must decamp for Netherfield with Anne to lend her expertise and direction. With the Bingleys, Hursts, Darcys, and Elizabeth Bennet all in residence at Netherfield there is much hullabaloo! I enjoyed seeing Lady C go head-to-head with Lord Matlock, the power struggles between Miss Bingley, Elizabeth, and Lady Catherine over Darcy, and the surprise visits from Mr. Bennet that sent everyone into an uproar!
WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:
- More Romance, Please: There were some lovely and sweet scenes between Darcy and Elizabeth, but because they both fell in love quickly and with little interference, I found myself wanting more romance, more longing, more ardent love and admiration. 😉 (You know me, I’m a hopeless romantic!)
- Outlandish Schemes: I didn’t mind that Mr. Bennet was portrayed as an antagonist or that George Wickham, Miss Bingley, and Lady Catherine had their usual foils, but I felt all four had schemes or ambitions that were a little too extreme and at times, foolish. Marriage traps, kidnapping attempts, false representation, forced marriages – all in one novel felt a little melodramatic.
An inventive and inspiring Pride and Prejudice variation that illustrates how your past can be filled with pain and heartache, but the future can exude light and love. Filled with surprising twists, strong characters, and satisfying outcomes, Joy Dawn King makes a splendid debut with her new release, A Father’s Sins! I’m definitely looking forward to Ms. King’s next novel (which I hear is about Jane and Mr. Bingley!) 😉
Author Joy Dawn King is generously giving away 2 eBook copies of A Father’s Sins AND a $50 Amazon Gift Card to 3 randomly selected winners! WOW! You know what to say…can I get a WOOT WOOT?!?
To enter this giveaway, tell me what you think of A Father’s Sins!
- This giveaway is open worldwide. Thank you, Joy!
- This giveaway ends June 16th!
- The prizes will be drawn at random and requests to win a specific prize will not be accepted.
**To receive an extra entry for this giveaway comment on Joy’s post from Monday!